Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Happy Makers

30 Things My Kids Should Know About Me #5:

What are the five things that make you most happy right now?

Baking treats. The planning, the shopping, the execution of a delicious recipe, the anticipation as I wait to taste the finished product, Kealani helping me mix, eating half the batter/dough before the product is finished, the smell. All of these components make me happy. And the best part is being excited about later, when Jon comes home -- after dinner is served, cleared, and the girls are in bed, we get to enjoy a tasty treat together, relaxing in each others' company.



Reading. A fresh book, a digital edition on my Kindle, a magazine, it doesn't really matter. Letting my brain take time off from the reality of being a full time mom seven days a week is a vacation. It improves my memory, vocabulary, and writing skills. I grow attached to characters and stories so much so that when a book, or even worse a series, comes to an end, I have what I've heard referred to as a "book hangover"... it's the state of depression entered knowing it's all over and you're done hanging out with some of your newest, closest friends. Luckily I can go back to a favorite book any time I want and start all over again. Which is what I do.



Listening to my daughters laugh. There's not much to explain here. In general, a human being's laughter is a pleasant sound, 99% of the time. That sound is infinitely more enjoyable when it's coming from your children. Multiply that a few more times by infinity when they are laughing with each other.



Running. Specifically, racing long distances. If you'd have told me ten years ago that running would end up being my workout of choice and something that I actually enjoyed doing, let alone something I would get pretty proficient at, I'd have snorted my Wild Cherry Pepsi out of my nose all over your shirt. Running has become my reboot time. It has helped me lose baby weight, stay healthy, and gain energy needed to keep up with my young girls. I'm competitive by nature, and since running is a solo sport, it allows me to challenge and compete with myself in a way that I couldn't experience playing team sports. It's hard, and many days I just don't want to do it. But I have never regretted going for a run. I've only regretted not going.



Date night. Any time spent with Jon makes me happy. Family time is priceless, but there's something unique about the time I spend with him alone. Our conversation is different, because we're not filtering ourselves, or being interrupted. I am transported back to our dating days and instantly remember why I love being around him so much. Also why I want to continue being around him.






1 comment: